Re: Switch hitting (was TW and Marketing

Subject: Re: Switch hitting (was TW and Marketing
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:12:06 -0800

What amazes me is the amount of marketing writing I find disguised as
software documentation (see the user guide for a popular tech writing
product as an example).

Many of us who are lone writers know what it means to "switch hit" on a
regular basis. In my case, however, I have to be extremely careful not to
let market-speak seep into my documentation. Our chief scientist really
hates that! (Our product is an advanced developer tool.)

I don't know whether my background helped or hindered for marketing writing.
I have a liberal arts degree with lots of technical learning, and I was
embarrassed to discover I was really good at marketing writing, worse--I
enjoyed it! As a change of pace. My background as a fiction writer might
have played a part as well--as Ron mentions, there is an element of
"story-telling", at least in my marketing writing.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington