Techwriter Digest and Eudora Mail

Subject: Techwriter Digest and Eudora Mail
From: Roz Ault <ault -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:00:36 -0500

Recently we switched our email from a command-line system to Eudora. Since
then I have a lot of trouble opening Techwriter list digests. Some days
Eudora (we've got Pro 3.05 for Windows) has no trouble. It will open the
digest in my mailbox, although a bit slowly, showing a "Formatting" message
at the bottom of the window, with a percentage-complete counter.

Other days, it simply won't open the digest at all. Eudora just hangs, and
I have to Control-Alt-Delete out of it. The variation doesn't seem to be
specifically related to the size of the digest, since Eudora did open
one that was over 170K, and refused to open another that was under 100 K.

It also doesn't seem to be related to what else is running on the PC (a
Compaq with 32 Mb of RAM; Windows 95), because it is just as likely to
refuse to open the digest with nothing else running as it is with Word or
some other application also open.

This isn't an insurmountable problem, because I also have Eudora (the Light
version) installed on my Mac, so I just go over there and get the digests.
Under system 7, Eudora splits the digests into smaller chunks, whereas
under system 8, Eudora on the Mac hasn't had any trouble opening the
digests as one large message.

I suppose Eudora Windows could choke on any large message -- but I haven't
been getting anything else so large as the daily output of this wordy bunch
:-) .

So ... I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem and whether you
have any suggestions, other than just continuing to read the digests on the
Mac. (I really like my Mac, but my company has standardized on Windows, so
I have to spend most of my time there.)

-- Roz Ault, Information Technology
ault -at- faxon -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=