Re: Name

Subject: Re: Name
From: Steven Feldberg <steven -at- ICU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:11:35 -0500

>What methods do you use for developing names? <

If you can find it, ``The Name's The Thing,'' by Henri Charmasson (American
Management Association, 1991, ISBN: 0-8144-7755-0) discusses developing
product names (not just for software). He talks about legal ramifications
and presents an overall methodology, including many practical suggestions
and techniques for coining names. I've read nothing else in this category,
though, so I couldn't compare it to similar offerings.

Here's a sampling:

Composition - combining two or more words: Kitchenaid, (allowing for
spelling/word variations: Koolaid, Sunkist).
Tacking & Clipping - adding a prefix or suffix to a word or word
fragment: Microsoft, Pan American, Faxmodem.
Made-up Names: Exxon.
Out-of-the-blue (image-association): Java (for a programming language!),
Yahoo!,

Have fun.

/Steven Feldberg
Feldberg Communications