Re: Rejection Letters

Subject: Re: Rejection Letters
From: Ginna Watts <gwatts -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:21:34 -0800

> Laurel writes:
> <snip> ...made me think about how many
>> companies don't bother with sending out rejection letters--either as a
>> result of an interview or a resume submission. I wonder if these
companies
>> realize how discourteous and unprofessional they are being...
> </snip>

and Barry Responds:

>1. The applicant was never rejected. The applicant may not have been asked
>for an interview "at this time", but most (maybe all for legal reasons)
keep
>every valid resume they receive on file.

I have never heard of this, and given the number of letters I've received
that say (nicely) "we didn't choose you this time, but we'll keep your
resume on file," I don't buy this argument. Whether or not they keep your
resume, it doesn't make up for not contacting you at all.

>2. The sheer number of resumes received. Try to imagine how many resumes
>Microsoft, Intel, and others receive _each week_. The number is staggering.

I think we can all agree that there is a big difference between a flood of
unsolicited resumes, and a group receieved quoting a specific job ad. I
firmly believe that they should make some form of contact with you if they
have asked to see your resume.

Also, in this hig tech age, it's really not that difficult to send out a
broadcast e-mail to all the rejected candidates (blind, of course). I would
feel much better getting a 'thanks, but maybe later' e-mail than dead
silence. Especially if you've received the resumes via e-mail. How hard
could it be?

Ginna Watts, Technical Writer
Quester Tangent Corporation
Sidney, BC