Re: Callouts on Artwork - Best Method Please?

Subject: Re: Callouts on Artwork - Best Method Please?
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 00:03:07 GMT

>>I have been wondering for some time what is the best method
>>to add callouts to label artwork such as screen captures.
Generally, I do callouts in the desktop publisher or word processing
program.

Advantages of doing them this way:

* If you need to scale the drawing, you can still keep your callouts
at a consistent (and readable) size).
* DTP & word processors generally have better spell check
capabilities, although that's less true now.
* You can search and replace the callouts when you check the rest of
the document.
* In Frame, you can use variable names in callouts (only if you use
text frames instead of text strings), so if your variable changes, it
changes in the callout, too.

Disadvantages:
* If you don't link the callouts and graphics correctly, you can wind
up with misplaced callouts.
* If you search and replace (or change a variable), the callout might
get cutoff or not be lined up anymore.
* On some graphics (particularly EPS), it's hard to line up the
callout with the line or item.

Guess that leaves the answer to be the old reliable "it depends."

Regards,

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000