Re: Preserve/Conserve

Subject: Re: Preserve/Conserve
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:57:11 -0800

No flames, just one more opinion.

I think, at least in the U.S., that "conserve" is associated with
conservation and immediately brings endangered species to mind (which
might not be too out of line depending on how important that original
configuration is). I think for most people "preserve" = save, which is
pretty much what's meant here. Again, that's a U.S. slant and if your
primary audience is British or speaks British English, that wouldn't be
the case.

BJ

Trevor Holdsworth wrote:

> > Which one of these is correct and what is the difference in meaning:
> >
> > The original configuration is preserved.
> > The original configuration is conserved.
> >

> IMHO
>
> Preserve is for Tutankhamoun, Strawberry jam, Gherkins and myself.
> Conserve is more for appropriate.
>
> Go ahead, flame me
>
> Trevor Holdsworth
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==