Documentation Translation

Subject: Documentation Translation
From: John Califano <califano -at- SYMBOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:52:40 -0500

I would like to know how other companies handle their documentation translation. I am re-evaluating our translation process to find way of improving the process.

I presently use a global translation company to translate our English manuals into four European and three Asian languages. The translation company translates the manuals and then sends copies to our employees in the specific countries for review. The reviewers make comments and send the manuals back to the translation company. They make any necessary changes and then do the DTPing. The translated manual is then sent back to me.

How many documents does your company translate in a year and into how many languages?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Califano
Symbol Technologies, Inc.