TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Word Text in Rainbow Colors From:Carl Leonard <CLeonard -at- TFMG -dot- COM> Date:Thu, 5 Nov 1998 07:48:29 -0800
Top Eleven Possible solutions for Word 97 Producing Rainbow Characters on
11. R & R Graphics Card; re-configure it (unless it's Plug-and-Pray)
10. Consider the possibility that this is just a great practical joke
9. Submit query to techwr-l; there's always great advice there
8. Scan for Viruses
7. Reinstall the offending font
6. Reinstall Office 97
5. Reinstall Windows 95 (re-installing every 95 days really is a good
4. Take a vacation (perhaps stress and overwork are causing this)
3. Cut back on the drugs
2. Learn to enjoy the flashbacks
1. Call Microsoft Tech Support (no, wait, that idea came from MY drugs
Wasting time on personal computers since 1983
From: Trevor Holdsworth [SMTP:t -dot- holdsworth -at- GILSON -dot- FR]
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 1998 6:34 AM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: Problem:Word Text in Rainbow Colors
My colleague had a strange problem this morning, a Word document she
(Word 97, on Windows 95). The text changed color from letter to
letter (eg: red
letter, green letter, yellow letter etc).
I told her to change the font (she was using an Adobe font similar
to Comic Sans
MS). She changed the font to 'Comic Sans MS' and Presto, the text
was OK. She's
now got the problem again.
If anybody has come across this problem, and knows the solution,
please e-mail me direct.
I realise it may be a graphics card problem, but any advice would be
appreciated. We'd be very grateful.