Terseness

Subject: Terseness
From: Peterson Karen <Peterson_Karen -at- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:42:59 -0500

I recently heard that terseness is a tech writing No No when writing
end-user documentation.

What exactly is terseness? Does it refer to the style of writing that says,
"If drive is external, install" as opposed to "If the drive is external,
install it"?

I assume that terseness is not 100% bad in all circumstances. Generally,
when is it appropriate and when it is not?

Thank you,
Karen
"I drew a cube! I'm an engineer!"
--Carol Gasser on people who think being able to write
a sentence makes them a tech writer

Karen Peterson
Peterson_Karen -at- prc -dot- com
610.260.2644