Re: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...

Subject: Re: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...
From: Anne McDonough <amcdonou -at- OLF -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:19:09 -0500

I had a similar problem on Monday and was losing my mind. I set up my numbering
as Dave said. The numbers would be fine for 4 or 5 sections, then would flip out
and skip ahead 15 numbers. For example, I'd get 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 13.1,
15.2, etc. In frustration, I ran out and bought a Word 97 book and called
friends with lots of Word experience to no avail. Then, after 10 attempts, it
seemingly worked. I saved it, closed out, bought it home, loaded it on my
machine, edited it, numbers were fine, saved it and closed out. Opened it
Tuesday morning and the numbers were flipping out again. So I reverted to the
unedited, but correctly numbered, version. Opened it up and, lo and behold, the
numbers were GONE!!! I ended up just blowing away all the funky numbering from
the edited version and numbering by hand. Not the right way to handle it, but
the company chairman was waiting for his document.

Any suggestions for Dan would greatly help me too. Would downloading SR-1 help?

Cursing Bill Gates!

Anne McDonough

John David Hickey wrote:

> Greetings Dan!
>
> > Why is it that, when attempting to restart the numbering in
> > numbered lists,
> > Word97 also changes some of the formatting?
>
> <rant>
> I feel your pain, really I do. I used to swear by Word 7, but Word 97 causes
> me to swear at it, occasionally smack the monitor, smack my head, and
> threaten it with magnets. I'm severely tempted to drop the whole thing into
> a deep pit and start learning Framemaker. YOU HEAR THAT BILL? YOU FIXED
> SOMETHNG THAT WASN'T BROKEN, YOU GLASSY-EYED TWIT!
> </rant>
>
> <deep sigh>
>
> On to your answer. You see, it's isn't enough to make a style that numbers
> paragraphs. You also have to make sure that the Numbering option matches
> your style specifications.
>
> When you make your style for numbering, make sure that the Automatic Update
> checkbox is not selected. When you need to create a new list and restart the
> first list item, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Right-click the first item in your new list
> 2. Select Bullets and Numbering.
> 3. You'll see a bunch of examples of numbering styles. Pick one that has
> your
> Style name on it and click Customize.
> 4. Make sure the the bullet size, indent space, and hanging indent
> measurements match what you selected for your style. Click OK.
> 5. Select Restart Numbering and click OK.
>
> >From now on, whenever you need to restart your numbered list, select the
> numbering example you just customized.
>
> <rant>Adobe... Warm my seat. </rant>
>
> --
> Be seeing you,
>
> Dave
> ---
> John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/
>
> Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)
>
> They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
> But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
> --
> Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
> Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.
> ---
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

begin:          vcard
fn:             Anne McDonough
n:              McDonough;Anne
org:            Open Link Financial, Inc.
adr;dom:        333 Earle Ovington Blvd., Suite 602;;;Mitchel Field;NY;11553;
email;internet: amcdonou -at- olf -dot- com
tel;work:       516-227-6600 ext 287
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1