FW: Code Documentation

Subject: FW: Code Documentation
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:02:21 -0500

The following statement reminded me of a question I wanted to ask you guys:

"It's the week before you have to shove the book out the door to get it printed in time for the ship date, you're *still* waiting. . .and the developer never gets back to you before the end of the week, so it ends up going out with that text."

I've noticed that one of the favorite questions interviewers like to ask is something like "How do you deal with a difficult person who won't give you the information you need to complete your task?"

My answer: "First I would contact the person and try to arrange a specific time when I could obtain the information. If that fails, I would appeal to the person by explaining that they are making it difficult for me to do my job (try to appeal to their sensitivity). If that fails, I would warn them that I have to tell my boss that I cannot properly finish my assignment without their cooperation. If still nothing happens, go to my boss and ask if there isn't something we can do to push the issue--such as talk to their supervisor. All this would have to be timed so that I don't wind up the day before without the information I need."

Is this an adequate answer? Any comments or experiences you'd like to relay? How does one avoid this?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000