FYI: Tech Com Makes U.S. News & World Report

Subject: FYI: Tech Com Makes U.S. News & World Report
From: Karen Schriver <ks0e -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:15:31 -0400

Hi all,

Please excuse this FYI post if you've already seen it. I'd be curious to
hear any reactions to the portrayal of the technical communicator in this
piece. Although it's nice to see our field in the news in so prominent a
place, I wonder if the view it offers actually enhances other's ideas
of who we are and what we do?

karen schriver
KSA, Document Design and Research
Oakmont, PA
USA

US News and World Report listed technical writing (and similar web-related
fields) as one of "top 20 job tracks." Following is a press release about
the report from the Society for Technical Communication.

------------
TECHNICAL WRITING ONE OF "20 HOT JOB TRACKS"
The Oct. 26, 1998 issue of U.S. News and World Report features a series of
articles on career opportunities for the new year. Page 85 of that issue
includes information on technical writing, with quotes by Society for
Technical Communication (STC) member Sharon Murphy and statistics from
STC's 1998 Technical Communicator Salary Survey. You may be interested in
seeing STC on the U.S. News and World Report Web site. The STC information
can be accessed through that site's home page, http:/ www.usnews.com, or
directly at
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/bcchot5.htm.

The Society for Technical Communication is the world's largest professional
organization in its field, with more than 22,000 members in 144 chapters
worldwide. Information about STC and its programs can be found at
http://www.stc-va.org.

For more information, contact:
Maurice Martin, STC Communications Director
(703) 522-4114

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=