ANON: CHAT: How times have changed (reply)

Subject: ANON: CHAT: How times have changed (reply)
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:56:07 -0700

Message forwarded on request. Please
reply on list.

****************************

I'm glad you feel that we're not second class citizens. But let me
tell you what just happened to me this morning. We just hired a tech writer
to work with our software developers to produce functional specs. Because I
was the one who brought this person's resume to my boss, I am being paid a
referral bonus. Pretty cool... I thought. In this company, bonuses are
paid only for software developers.

I just brought my boss a resume of another tech writer. This writer
comes highly recommended. The position that this person is being considered
for will write end-user documentation. When I gave my boss the resume, a
co-worker walked in. My boss made a joke that I must be pounding the
streets looking for applicants. My co-worker joked back that now that I've
found out how lucrative finding qualified applicants could be, I could turn
it into a part-time job. We all laughed.

My boss remarked (and here's the rub), that the reason I got the
bonus for the person we just hired was because this person would be working
directly with the software developers. Applicants for the end-user
documentation position would be JUST tech writers, and therefore not
eligible for bonus payments. Tsk...tsk...I remarked back to my boss that a
good tech writer is just as valuable as a programmer. My boss gave me a
rather puzzled looking indicating to me that he/she just didn't understand
what I was talking about.

Don't get me wrong...I'm very appreciative for the cash incentive I
received. It was that puzzled look that really got me. It's like my boss
was telling me that tech writers aren't as good as software developers.
(sigh)

Message forwarded anonymously on request.
Please reply on list if you want the original
poster to see the message.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=