Réf. : Re: NEWBIE asks: How to move to SGML?

Subject: Réf. : Re: NEWBIE asks: How to move to SGML?
From: Mark Craig <mcraig -at- WINCAPSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:59:35 +0100

After looking to SGML (+ DSSSL) for the final solution to the WinHelp +
Paper + HTML-based Help +... documentation problem, I agree with Tim Altom.
As one of my friends in Marketing says, "SGML stands for Sounds Good, Maybe
Later."

However, fools, like me, tend to keep rushing in where wiser people like
Tim Altom, my boss and others fear to tread. So if you refuse to be
discouraged by conventional wisdom, technical complexities and sane people,
you can continue working towards an SGML solution. Without any budget to
speak of.

Here are some starting points.

- If you really know nothing about SGML, start at
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/

- If you have to do things on Windows, read
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/sgmlhtintro.html

- If you have Linux already, start by installing sgmltools 2.0
(http://www.sgmltools.org) and psgml (http://) for emacs. The advantages
with sgmltools, and emacs + psgml are: opensource; based on DocBook DTD;
relative ease of use in creating classy output from your SGML files; it
includes Jade, so you can, theoretically, output all the RTF you'll ever
need; GNOME doc can be done with sgmltools. The disadvantages: doc
insufficient, especially for newbies; not directly related to the Windows
doc conundrum.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.

PS to the experts: What is the best doc for SGML + DSSSL newbies?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=