Respect

Subject: Respect
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:04:00 -0500

I had a nice thing happened to me today. First, some background. I took a new
job six months ago working with the IT department of a retail organization.
All software is developed for in-house use. I had previously worked for a
software company, developing manuals, help files and training programs for
their customized financial software. Not off-the-self stuff.

I am the first tech writer this company has had, and it has been a rocky road.
I'm also a lone tech writer, and I have had a lot to learn about new tools
(i.e., FrameMaker and Acrobat) as well as systems (point of sale and inventory,
etc.) all of which was very foreign to me. For awhile there, I couldn't figure
out why they hired ME.

Three projects are nearing completion, and drafts went around for technical
review. We will start setting up user tests very soon. (We've set up a really
good process here.)

I received the first user guide back with lots of good stuff in it (very
constructive criticisms and technical explanations provided), along with a
comment from the developer that the user guide was very impressive and
professional enough to be part of a commercial software package.

It's a small thing, but I think I just earned this guy's respect and he has a
whole, new understanding of what it is I do.

Maybe this job will work out after all.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree