hello and rates question

Subject: hello and rates question
From: Sue Landsman <landsman -at- TIAC -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:49:16 -0500

Hello,

I'm new to this list and would like to say hello to everyone. I also have
a few questions that I'd appreciate input on.

I'm a tech writer with about 5 years of experience. In addition to tech
writing,
I'm capable of doing online help, design work, illustration, and document
management. I've been working full time, permanent at a company for the past
three years, and have been away from work for a few months now on maternity
leave. This is in the Boston area

I'm intending to go back to the same company as a 1099 contractor. I'm
wondering what I should charge as a rate. (I've checked the archive and
other information, but I've seen conflicting figures and am also looking
for regional rates). Do rates depend on "years of experience" or proven
ability? If I can do the work as well as or better than someone with
"ten years" of experience, and the client knows that, can I charge as
much, or am I out of luck?

I'm also wondering how strongly I should insist on a high rate to my current
employer. Should I be more willing to negotiate on the assumption that they're
doing me a favor by accommodating me as a contractor, or should I just treat
them like any new client?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sue Landsman
landsman -at- tiac -dot- net