Writer-to-developer ratios

Subject: Writer-to-developer ratios
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:17:06 -0500

I am interested in the technical writer-to-developer ratios at large
software companies (200+ employees). We currently have a staff of 250
(60 of whom are developers), and about 30 products broken into 11
categories. Development is organized into three main groups.

My goal is to discover the ratio at companies similar to ours in size
and product offering (IBM mainframe software) by which to make a
comparison for organizational and staffing recommendations. I'm not
looking for formulas or what experts say is the ideal ratio--I'm looking
for real-world examples and statistics from actual technical writing
department managers.

Please respond off-list to: phillipw -at- asg -dot- com

Many thanks,

Phil
Phillip C. Wilkerson
Vice President