Re: FM Hypertext->PDF problem

Subject: Re: FM Hypertext->PDF problem
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- ZKS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:26:19 -0500

Many thanks to Steve Gotler, Jay Mahler, and Winfried Reng for their help
with my Frame hypertext links to PDF problems. I am halfway there, and I
hope that the experienced PDFers can help me get over this (probably)
obvious hurdle.

To review: I was having problems getting my hypertext links (previouspage
and nextpage) to work properly in Acrobat. I also had problems with the
opening of two identical windows in Acrobat. The latter problem was fixed by
uninstalling and re-installing Acrobat (I ignored the suggested Acrobat3/
directory--BAD IDEA!). I then installed the Adobe 4.2 PS driver on my
system, to ensure I had the most recent driver available. Printing the Frame
file to PS and distilling it has finally produced active navigation links!
(The PDFWriter printer setting was probably partly to blame for my earlier
problems.)

HOWEVER, my navigation icons (both JPGs) and all other screen shots are now
grayscale, while my color Frame graphics retain their color. :( Furthermore,
my resulting PDF file is HUGE, up to 25 times the original FM source file. I
have tried saving the file as PDF, only to receive the following error
message in the LOG file:

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: FmPA ]%%

Stack:
/G997347
989
1075

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Yet, the Save As works fine for a test file (although the navigation icons
remain gray, the screen shots retain their color).

I would really appreciate the assistance of a PDF expert so I can get these
tests out of the way and make some headway on my manual.

As always, I am in deep gratitude for all assistance you offer,

Paul
Paul "RTFM Guy" Branchaud (paul -at- zks -dot- net)
Lead Technical Writer, Zero-Knowledge Systems, Inc.

Any ex-wandering troubadour slash hostage negotiator could've done it.
-- Cornfed

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=