Re: Looking for PostScript Composition Program

Subject: Re: Looking for PostScript Composition Program
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:17:38 -0600

In our previous episode, David M. Brown said:
> Beth Friedman wrote:
> >
> > Clickbook is good at what it does, but what it _doesn't_ do is
> > PostScript. It can print to PS machines, but it can't write
> > PostScript files.
>
> I could have sworn Ms. Weiner's follow-up mentioned doing the printing
> in-house.
>
> Regardless, couldn't she just set up the ClickBooks-modified driver to
> print to a file rather than a printer port?

Even if she's printing in-house, if there's something in the file that
requires PostScript (EPS graphics for example), then a non-PostScript
driver would cause a degraded printout. Since she specifically asked
for a PostScript-based application to start with, I assumed there was
some reason.

It becomes more important for service bureaus, of course, since many
high-end devices won't take files in any format other than PostScript
-- but that wasn't the issue I was addressing.

I love ClickBooks (enough so that I bought my own copy for home use),
but I've been caught short a couple of times because it isn't
PostScript-based.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"If you can forgive your parents and forgive the Cubs, you can save
about $25,000 in therapy."
-- Steve Goodman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=