Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:17:12 -0600

> I've never heard of # being called "hash" but am now
> enlightened about why it would be called a pound key: it's the banking system
> that uses that term.

Since everyone else has thrown their 2 cents in, here's mine. I've never
seen # used to signify pounds sterling (in the U.S.), but I have no
banking experience. I *do* have food service experience :-P, and I have
seen # used extensively instead of the abbreviation "lb.", especially on
invoices, recipes, etc. As others have said, the moral of this story is
"know your audience."

Tracy Boyington mailto:tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: FW: Short duration on jobs
Next by Author: Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?
Next by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads