Productivity Formulas

Subject: Productivity Formulas
From: Susan Peradze <susan -dot- peradze -at- PERI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:07:37 -0500

Hello Friends:

Our tech writing group has been asked by management to determine our
productivity in terms of number of pages produced (written, edited,
formatted). Our previous (but unpopular) group leader used functional
point analysis to come up with this statistic. He kept his analyses very
secret, so none of us knew what the procedure involved, but it seemed
incredibly complicated and lengthy. Our department manager believes that
the system may have some merit, however. We are looking for a simple,
yet accurate method.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion? Have any particular methods
proven successful? How does your company/organization determine tech
writers' productivity?

We have also been asked to quantify "major change" vs. "minor change" to
a document? Any suggestions about this?

Your ideas will be greatly appreciated.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=