Re: How fast do I need to be able to write?

Subject: Re: How fast do I need to be able to write?
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:25:37 -0500

> To specifically answer the question of "how fast" - take
> whatever number of pages you can do in a day, and reduce it by an hour's
work to take
> care of the incidentals of life, such as getting coffee,
> checking email, and rebooting Windows. That should give you a good rough
number of
> pages per day, with room for exceeding the projected work,
> and a little room for things taking longer than expected.

That may be a bit optimistic - meetings and other corporate overhead take a
serious bite out of my day, and I'm in a reasonably streamlined company.
That and the occasional quick little ("Hey, Mike - can you give this a quick
look?" "Can you make an HLP out of this?" "Why won't Word do this?" "Can you
toss this up on the intranet?" "Joe said I could ask you for help on this.")
side project.

Writer's block? Nah. I can almost alway$ find in$piration $omewhere. In
fact, the less in$piration I have, the more in$piring it is. Writer's block
happens to me all the time when I'm writing fiction or essays. But when I'm
writing tech, I don't have to come up with ideas, I just imagine that person
sitting there trying to make the damn thing work, and write down the hints
they need, or write down how the damn thing works, depending on the type of
documentation I happen to be working on.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=