ANON: Job Dissatisfaction

Subject: ANON: Job Dissatisfaction
From: marilyn O'Leary <moleary -at- LSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:43:02 -0600

I have been following this thread and would like to know with what are
you dissatisfied: personnel, tasks, projects, the firm? You don't
mention any of these. I wonder if your dissatisfaction comes from a
desire to make a "significant" and "noticed" contribution. If this is
the case, quit you job and become a freelancer. No techwriter on a
staff is noticed; often his or her contribution is not even acknowledged
although the team members on the project know what each one
contributed. In a firm, your reputation will remain internal. In
contrast, freelancers become known and their contributions become known
because that is the way freelancers get new jobs ? by reputation. Your
contributions will be acknowledged, you will feel fulfilled, and you
will be able to work without this unhappiness. Good luck. Marilyn
Marilyn Barrett O'Leary
Louisiana Sea Grant College Program
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-7507