Re: Survey Results -- Certification follow up

Subject: Re: Survey Results -- Certification follow up
From: David Hailey <dhailey -at- ENGLISH -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:02:40 -0700

Hi all,

I,ve been gone for quite a while. Just got back today. The reason I was
gone was because I was crunching numbers that relate to Michael's post.

I have gone through 2500 pages of job postings, looking for common threads
in what industry is looking for. The results are scheduled to go to
_Technical Communication_ in a few weeks, but I though you might like a
sneak peek at one or two of the "strands."

Michael is exactly right that industry is not particularly interested in
certification. What I can add, however, is industry is also not
particularly in technical communication degrees. In job listings requests
(not requirements) for TC or comparable degrees have gone down from 30% in
1994 to (are you ready?) 6% of the most recent 100 postings. Only 18% are
interested in any degree of any type. Like Michael, I have been asking
employeers what they think this means. Basically, they are giving technical
writing degrees a big oh-hum.

I believe that I know the cause of this phenomenom, but I am more interested
in your opinions.

Dave Hailey
Asst. Proffessor
Professional Communications
Utah State University
fahailey -at- english -dot- usu -dot- edu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=