Re: why I want to Tech Write

Subject: Re: why I want to Tech Write
From: Pamela Denchfield <pdenchfield -at- VIXEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:50:57 -0800

I whole-heartedly agree with the following parts of Emily's message:

> On the question of why we do this, a lot of the replies seem to be
> that people kind of wander into this field...

Yes, that's what I've heard from several technical writers here in the
Seattle area. My technical writing degree seems to be very unusual--only
about eight people graduated with me last summer from the University of
Washington's Technical Communications program (which is within
Engineering).

> 1. I love writing
> 2. I know that you can't eat by writing fiction

These two realizations prompted me to major in technical writing!

> 5. Looked into tech writing, took the classes, loved it! (it
> practical, my existence might mean something to the population at
large)
> ..
> 7. Lots of opportunity in this field right now (at least, that's the
> buzz)
> ..

Again, I identify with Emily.

In addition, a big motivator for me is having the opportunity to improve
existing documents (maybe I should try editing?) and being that conduit
between engineers and customers. And that's my two cents (or more).

Regarding replies to this message: if you want me to see your reply
before the next day, please send the reply to pdenchfield -at- vixel -dot- com (I'm
on the digest list). Thanks!

Pamela

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=