Re: Degree

Subject: Re: Degree
From: "Townsend,Emru" <etownsend -at- POSITRON -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:37:55 -0500

What you say is largely consistent with what I say. A degree helps. A
lot. But it's not an absolute measure.

Somewhere out there is a complex mathematical formula where your degree,
your experience, and the degree to which you've proven your worth come
out to some sort of constant. Without a degree, it may be harder to get
into management or what have you. That just means having to work twice
as hard. Many blacks, Hispanics, women, or [fill in minority group of
choice here] have known this for a long time: when you're at a
disadvantage, make up for it with bulletproof work.

It's not perfect, and it doesn't work for everyone, but neither does a
degree.

Let's just say that I've consistently produced work that kicks x amount
of ass, and a co-worker who started around the same time as me
consistently produced work that kicks 0.8*x amount of ass. If I get
passed over for that co-worker, how long do you think I'll stay at that
company?

Meritocracy is where it's at. If you don't give it to me, I move on --
'cause I've worked hard to make sure that someone will appreciate my
skills.

Emru Townsend
Technical Communication Warrior - Product Integration
Positron Public Safety Systems Inc.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
e-mail: etownsend -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca
My words are my own. Confuse them with my employer's at your own risk.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=