Finding the Right Individual Formula for Happiness (was Too Many Jobs?!?!?!?!?)

Subject: Finding the Right Individual Formula for Happiness (was Too Many Jobs?!?!?!?!?)
From: Maurice King <benadam -at- CYBERDUDE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:19:26 -0500

Since I started this thread, I've read the comments from lots of others. Let me state that I was indicating reflections on my initial experiences after having spent most of my adult life outside the United States. I returned to my native land where so many opportunities were supposed to exist, and I saw that they did -- but that the people who were responsible for finding people for these opportunities didn't have a clue as to how to find them! As a result, many good people looking for work can end up very frustrated and may pass up opportunities while companies bungle the recruitment process over and over.

The argument that good jobs exist for good people is almost comic. Sure they do. But when the HR person is asleep at the helm, or when the interviewing manager decides to take off a week in the middle of interviewing, or when the company has a freeze on hiring in the middle of the process, or any of a million other possible snags, the good people are likely to abandon these good jobs for other jobs that are more readily available!

I know I took a contract job back in June for which I was supposed to have several skills and specific experience. I took the job reluctantly because I really wanted to hold out for a long-term job, but this job at least was available. I started to work, only to discover that the company just needed a galley slave; the task at hand had absolutely nothing to do with my skills and experience! After two months of exasperation, during which I asked the manager straight out, "Did you even READ my resume before hiring me?!?!?" I left for my current job, which, I must say, is a good match; the fact that I would leave it for California or certain other major metropolitan areas has nothing to do with the quality of the job.

Which brings me to the other issue that was raised: home is where the heart is. For a single person, maybe the situation is different, but I have a family with a very specific ethnic mix, and we're newcomers to North America. Consequently, while I may be happy with my current job, my family is not happy in my current location. Am I to ignore my family's wishes? That wouldn't be very considerate or responsible. So for those persons who posted me privately to insinuate that I've just got "ants in the pants," I invite you to come see exactly what I have in my pants before you make accusations; I have to consider the welfare of ALL my family members -- or is that idea too difficult to understand in the Nineties?

- Maury

Get free personalized email at http://geocities.iname.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=