Re: PDF to Word -- Conversion problem -- Summary

Subject: Re: PDF to Word -- Conversion problem -- Summary
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- PREPRESS -dot- DE>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:05:22 +0200

Hi,

I want to thank you very much for the answers I received; Rahel Anne
Bailie, Max Wyss, and Dave Neufeld.

Here is a summary.
====================

Problem

> Is there any simple method to convert PDF Files to Word, without losing
> formatting?
>
> I have to insert diagrams and flow charts into a document. They are
> available in PDF format.

Solution

For graphics:
1. Open the page with the graphic in a graphics package that can import PDF.
(Such as Adobe Illustrator)
2. Delete all the stuff on the page that is not part of the graphic.
3. Edit the graphic in Adobe Illustrator.
4. Export the graphic in EPS format.
5. Import the graphic into Word

Note:
If Acrobat Exchange is available, you also can use the EPS-Export plug- in
(either part of the distribution or then downloadable from the Adobe
website).

This could bypass Illustrator.

(Make sure, the fonts are available, otherwise they will be replaced by
default fonts)

For text:
1. Open the PDF file in Acrobat Exchange.
2. Select Tools>Select Text from the main menu
3. Using the Select Text tool, select the text you wish to copy.
4. Copy the text.
5. Paste the text into Word. The text will be unformatted, with paragraph
marks at the end of every line.
6. Remove the unnecessary paragraph marks and reformat the text to suit your
word document style.

For text:
(1) open a PDF file, copy to clipboard, then open MS Word and "paste
special" in
RTF format
(2) open a PDF file, "select all", then open MS Word and "paste" it in; most of
the formatting comes with it.

Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
PRE PRESS GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-21
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-55
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=