Re: Diagramming Sentences

Subject: Re: Diagramming Sentences
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:46:57 -0600

Tell us where we can find info on Chomsky's method of parsing sentence
structure. My generation wasn't exposed to Chomsky. But I did love
diagramming sentences.

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
www.superconnect.com
------------------------------º><º------------------------------
"The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living
at doing what they most enjoy." ~ Malcomb S. Forbes
------------------------------º><º------------------------------

At 12:21 PM 12/7/98 -0600, Michael Gos wrote:
>Actually, I believe diagramming sentences has gone the way of the dinosaur,
>not so much because it was unpleasant, but rather, because the sentence
>trees used in Chomsky's Generative Grammar are so much more useful. The
>allow us to remove all structural ambiguity and always terminate in the
>completed sentences.
>
>Because they "parse" the sentence in a useful way, they are the choice of
>most people who need this type of tool (those working in Natural Language
>Processing environments, for example). From what I can tell, my students
>love doing it. I never met a student who claimed to love diagramming.
>Dr. Michael W. Gos
>Department of English and Communications
>Lee College
>Baytown, Texas 77522

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000