Re: Degree

Subject: Re: Degree
From: Julie Pitt <Julie_Pitt -at- SIGNALCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:26:00 -0500

Kristian Rickard wondered:
<...can those without degrees move into management (if they so desire)?>

and Kathleen Kuvinka responded:
<Why not? It's been done.>

To which I add: I've done it. I'm a senior level tech writer (technically,
I'm a Senior Proposal Writer) without a degree (I was majoring in English
when I left college). I've been doing tech writing for about 10 years in
the Washington, DC area, and I make probably one-and-a-half to two times
the average tech writer salary. At the last company I worked for, I
progressed from Technical Writer to Publications Group Manager (supervising
10 people). However, I didn't progress into management until AFTER I
started back to college last year. A mentor convinced me it was wise to be
able to show that I'm working on a degree.

I'm one of those people who "fell into" tech writing. I was a receptionist
for a small MIS department of a savings and loan, and I used to ask
questions about the correspondence I typed. They created a very entry-level
user support position for me, and by the time the S&L folded (remember the
'80's?), I was doing user training and writing newsletter articles about
the company's telephone and computer systems. After that, I applied for and
landed a bona fide Technical Writer position. I've done tip sheets,
software documentation, on-line help, process documentation, marketing
literature, trade show coordination, and proposals.

I don't think the lack of a degree has hindered me up to this point. Some
contributors to this thread have asserted that a degree demonstrates
discipline and commitment; I submit that my progression through various
levels of responsibility has demonstrated a similar level of discipline and
commitment. And the variety and quality of work I've done demonstrates
flexibility as well as depth and breadth of experience. So, even though I'm
working towards a college degree, I'm not convinced it's absolutely
necessary.

mtc

Julie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=