Highly Deletable Subjects

Subject: Highly Deletable Subjects
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:10:43 EST

I don't know if it actually matters to most people who post if anyone actually
reads their posts, but given the volume of posts on this list and the number
of subjects which reoccur like El Nino, I'm sure I'm not the only one who
deletes a large number unread. Perhaps it would be useful for some of us to
let people know which subjects die an unread death in our own particular
cosmoses (cosmii?).

In my case, pride of place to deletees goes to posts with the following in the
subject line:

- Certification, degrees, etc.
- Grammatical queries
- Jobs in unrelated (to me) cities
- Converting X to Y [unless it's, miraculously, a combination previously
undiscussed]
- Framemaker vs. Word
- breaking into technical writing
- nothing

Among the subjects I'm likely to read are:

- anything truly new
- learning programming languages
- tools I haven't heard of or don't know well
- references to interesting URL's
- job ads referencing a place near me

Voila. It's probably futile to beg people to stop returning to certain
subjects over and over again and at length, but at least those who do might
consider how many people are actually reading them.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's home page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval
TW page - http://members.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm