Degree stuff

Subject: Degree stuff
From: "Smith, Don" <dasmith -at- HAYES -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:53:25 -0500

I have hesitated to put in my "stuff", but it seems I am about the only one
holding out, so here is my stuff.

Without High School Graduation or further degrees, I became -
A Certified Washington, D.C. High School Teacher for four years
A private technical school "platform" instructor for 2 years
A Certified Senior High School Instructor in Maryland for 13 years

While teaching I -
Finished High School and received High School Diploma
Went to college part time and earned Master Equivalence in Vocational
Education
Received an "Advanced Professional Teaching Certificate" in Maryland
Received an Honorary BS in Electronics Engineering

I then became a tech writer (I had already written 4 technical books for
national book publishers) and Earned Master Degree level (Certificate) in
Business Administration Worked 19.5 years as a Technical Writer, the last 10
as a Senior Tech Writer. Several earlier years were as Training and
Publications Manager.

My comments on this whole subject of degrees?
1. Insisting on a degree is a way of saving effort by the personnel
department in finding a qualified writer.
2. Insisting on a degree eliminates a group of very fine writers.
3. Bottom line: Goal should be to hire a qualified writer you can "live
with". Hiring a writer with a degree will not make the difference, one way
or the other. Bigger degree might make a bigger manual, but not necessarily
a better one.
MOO

Don
Donald A. Smith