Varying rules by country

Subject: Varying rules by country
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:32:18 -0500

In commenting that the issue of punctuation inside or outside of quotations was
not, IMO, a stylistic issue only, I have now learned:

1. the history of the American rule on this matter
2. that not all Canadians take it as seriously as I do
3. that not all Americans like their rules
4. that some Americans think Canadians still want to "have a run at you"
5. why Eric doesn't want grammar discussed on the list :-)

This was not intended to argue American vs. Canadian and which is right or
wrong. American rules are right for American audiences, Canadian rules are
right for Canadian audiences, UK rules are right for UK audiences, Australian
rules are right for Australian audiences and so on.

I defend and promote the use of Canadian rules for Canadian audiences and in
our education system only for the preservation of our separate identity and to
prevent assimilation to American society. Note - that comment was not meant to
reflect negatively on American societies, I am merely suggesting we are
somewhat different.

As far as wanting to "have a run at you" - being a non-confrontational person
from a country with a history of peacekeeping, the thought never crossed my
mind :-).

I see now how easy it is to get sucked into a thread on grammar... just one
innocent comment. Sorry y'all - but thanks for the education!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree