Alternative to Front Page?

Subject: Alternative to Front Page?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:37:04 +0100

Hello John,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von janesbit -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM an All am 04.12.98

jj> We use Front Page here at work to create our web pages, but
jj> I'm finding
jj> it way too limited and too buggy. I continually have to go in
jj> and correct it with basic HTML code.

jj> Any recommendations out there on really good web authoring
jj> tools?

I have an answer that might surprise you: I combine low-tech Notepad with
high-tech SchemaText (http://www.schema.de). Schematext is an object-oriented
cross-media publishing tool that creates a framework for every node (which
might only be a small part of an HTML page) and maintains all of the structure
of my hypertext document.

SchemaText is the wrong tool if you want to create the equivalent of 16 glossy
pages. But if you need to create several 100 oder 1000 pages within an exactly
defined structure I know nothing that compares to SchemaText.

Take my Web site (http://members.xoom.com/AvO/): I have some 150 HTML pages
that are connected by some 1200 links. Every node and every link has some
type, i.e. exactly defined properties. This way I can automatically create an
index. Pages of four types have the property to get automatic links from and
automatic hot words in the index page. As these are four different types of
links I have no problems to sort them into four columns which sort
alphabetically by themselves.

I defined some 250 links by myself, nearly 1000 links are created
automatically - often including their hot words or hot spots. And they are
created each time I compile the source code to HTML (or Winhelp or MIF or
RTF or HTMLhelp).

If I change the name of a node all references are renamed. If I delete a node
every reference to this node is deleted automatically. If I need some paper
document I define the paths to be used for linearization (either by link type
property or individually) and whether a specific kind of link should be
converted to a reference or ignored or what else.

From my view Frontpage is a poorly designed tool that must not be installed on
carefully configured systems and that cannot exploit many posibilities of
hypertext systems: Ever tried to design a non-hierarchical system like my Web
site with Frontpage?

BTW: SchemaText has its own, home-made problems. And it is an extremely
powerful, fascinating tool, but not for every job and not for everyone. And it
is no HTML tool which is why I need Notepad. But I could use about any
HTML editor for single-page layout.

For those wondering: I know the people who created this wonderful tool. I
nagged them many times about the problems it has. But I am not connected to
them.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=