SUMMARY: Verb! That's what happening!

Subject: SUMMARY: Verb! That's what happening!
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:01:02 -0500

Greetings!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query on the use of Return in
programmerspeak. The verdict by overwhelming majority is to use Return
rather than Retrieve in the description of a command.

Although some people did agree that Retrieve was more accurate, Return is
definitely the term that the audience understands. Always write for your
audience!

Thanks for playing...
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/
DNRC Title: "Technical Writing Poohbah"

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=