Re: Plurals of abbreviations

Subject: Re: Plurals of abbreviations
From: Toni McConnel <Toni -at- WORDSCULPTORS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:33:54 -0700

Sylvia...
Altho it is common these days to see abbreviations pluralized by adding an
apostrophe and an s, it's a practice not supported by what I think is the
best stylebook, the Chicago Manual of Style, nor is it supported by common
sense (the best rule of all), because apostrophes denote the possessive.
The CMS approach is to write it the way the word sounds when said aloud:
OSes, but YMCAs, IOUs, etc.

At 04:12 PM 12/15/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Plurals of abbreviations
>
>How do you spell the plural of OS (for instance)
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=