Re: Copyright and Trademarks

Subject: Re: Copyright and Trademarks
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:51:09 -0500

Sylvia Braunstein <sbraun -at- RUGGED -dot- COM> asked:
>When do you use [copyrights and trademarks]? Always?
>At the beginning of the document only? Is there any rule?

Sylvia,

An intellectual property attorney consulted by our company told us that the
trademarks of others, "must be acknowleged". How this is done is less
clear.

What we do is make an honest effort to acknowledge trademarks by making a
formal acknowledgement on the copyright page. You could also make the
acknowledgement in a footnote on the first page of each trademark's first
mention.

We don't use any trademark symbol with the marks of others, only with our
own marks. I don't know that this is specifically addressed by trademark
laws, so our procedure is not advice. In other words, you're on your own
<g>.

Consulting with several lawyers, even those specializing in intellectual
property, will probably get you several opinions.

You might find this URL helpful:
http://www.ggmark.com/
This site "dedicated to trademarks, and trademark law, is maintained by
Gregory H. Guillot, Chartered

Best,
Joe Miller

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=