Re: Work around.....

Subject: Re: Work around.....
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:18:49 -0800

David John replied to Toni Lee McCreash:

>>... "work-around", "work around", or "workaround". Can someone tell
>>me which is correct? Thank you.
>>
>It's not in any dictionary probably because it's really (undesirable)
>jargon masquerading as a word. One way to get round your problem is not to
>attempt to use it at all, like I've just done!

Sorry, David. Your workaround just doesn't cut it. "Workaround" has
become standard terminology and to call it something else just hides
the information from the user. Even if you manage to avoid it in the
text (although I'm wondering why you would want to), you most certainly
need to include it in the index so that those users who -- if you will
excuse the expression -- call a spade a spade will be able to locate
the information quickly without having to guess at what you've called
it. Personally, I'd include "workaround" in the section title so it'd
appear in the toc too.

Our mission is to convey information as quickly and clearly as we can.
To do that, we need to use the vocabulary of our users and "workaround"
is definitely part of that vocabulary.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=