Re: Inaccurate SMEs?

Subject: Re: Inaccurate SMEs?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:00:12 -0700

Lots of advice, but possibly some overlooked middle ground here.

> >If that doesn't
> >work, you may need to fall back a step and ask your own manager to
> >intercede; that's definitely a last resort, since it gives the
> >appearance that you can't handle your own problems.
>
> Sorry, but I must be emphatic here. This is VERY BAD ADVICE.
>
> If you are having an ongoing problem with another person in the company
> that
> you cannot resolve quickly and amicably in one day and which is affecting
> the quality of your work TELL YOUR MANAGER. This is why you have a
> manager.
> Failing to inform your manager of a problem that affects your ability to
> do
> your job or that affects the quality of your work is serious professional
> misconduct.

8< 8< 8< kersnip >8 >8 >8

I agree with Mark that you shouldn't keep the manager in the dark about
problems, but I also believe Geoff has a point.

I use a combination of these methods. I tell my manager, then follow up with
how I'd like to deal with the situation. Occasionally, she indicates that
she wants to intervene, but usually, she supports my decisions. This way, I
maintain the communication I need to have with her while demonstrating that
I can handle my own dilemmas. She also provides suggestions about how I
might better approach issues, and if she wants to intervene, she tells me.

Granted, not all companies have the kind of culture that supports this kind
of communication, but it works here.

Bill Burns
Senior Technical Writer/Technology Consultant
ILE Communications
billdb -at- ile -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=