Re: MS loses market share to publishers - why?

Subject: Re: MS loses market share to publishers - why?
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- MAIL -dot- SYSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:29:02 -0800

>Maybe Microsoft doesn't consider the publishing market a big enough
niche
>just yet? Remember how they poo-pooed the Internet... until it
almost
>left them behind. Now that they've managed to blitz that market,
expect
>them to look for somewhere else to play catch-up.

Woody Leonard seems to think Oracle is a target, as per the
following excerpt from his Windows newsletter.

While talking about the Redmond machine rolling over everyone, SQL
7.0 made its debut at Comdex and Oracle is clearly in Microsoft's sights.
There was a huge splash with an all day press briefing and a party Monday
night (I could make none of it). There were as many SQL partners in
Microsoft Partner's Pavillion (an area at Comdex where Microsoft rents space
to third parties for min-booths) as there were in the Office area. I
wouldn't be surprised to learn that Microsoft charged the SQL partners less
than others to punch up the appearance of SQL support.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer
Systech Corp, San Diego, CA