Finding Suitable Font for Print and Web Site

Subject: Finding Suitable Font for Print and Web Site
From: Emmy Aricioglu <EMMY_ARICIOGLU -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM3 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:54:19 -0800

Hi All,

Our group would be interested in feedback from any of you on the
following situation:

-- We use Frame to write our manuals. Our official fonts up to
this point have been ITC Century (serif) and Arial (sans s).
Our platform is Windows NT.

-- Traditionally, we have supplied printed manuals with our
products. These are produced through the DocuTech process.

-- Earlier this year, we began posting our manuals on our
web site (first intranet, now internet). To do this, we
create a pdf file (Acrobat).

-- We have discovered that, not always, but many times, the
ITC Century font is creating problems. For example, it is
possible to open a pdf file, select a portion of the text,
copy it, and paste it to, say, a Word file. And then to
print it. We have found that the ITC Century font will
appear as garbage. Arial comes across fine.

-- We are unsure whether Adobe supports the ITC Century font.
(I will be researching that.)

-- One of our objectives is that our manuals must be
readable across all platforms (Unix, Sun, etc.), and by all
browsers (so we hesitate to go to a Microsoft supported
font).

We just decided yesterday to change our font and I have been
charged with the assignment of finding a suitable new one. I
would very much appreciate any information you may have and
will find some way to thank you.

Please post to me privately and, if there is general interest,
I will summarize and post the results.

Emmy Aricioglu
emmy_aricioglu -at- hp -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=