Opinions/Reference on Section Heads?

Subject: Opinions/Reference on Section Heads?
From: Eileen O'Malley <omalley -at- PHOENIX-INT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:48:34 -0500

I'd like some opinions (or references from style guides) on section
heads. Each chapter of my book begins with a small (one to three
paragraphs) intro and then jumps into the sections. The main sections
begin on their own page.

Should the first page contain just the intro and the first section
begins on its own page? Is it acceptable to begin the first section on
the same page as the intro and all subsequent sections begin on their
own page?

There's some contention between me and a coworker on this matter.
Opinions are welcome, and hard data from a style guide would be most
appreciated. Please email me privately because I get the digest version.

Thanks,
Eileen

Eileen C. O'Malley
Technical Writer