Writing Projects

Subject: Writing Projects
From: Bruce Conway <bconway -at- ISLAND -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:04:17 +0000

I'm looking for a check-off list of to-do's in approaching writing
projects in general, with mainly manual writing, or online help in
mind. More accurately, if someone asked the question in a job
interview: "How do you approach writing projects." Other than saying,
"Very gingerly", I need a basic template, or procedure that might work
in all technical writing projects. I guess it would look better as a
flowchart, but I'm assuming there is an intelligent way of expressing
this to prospective employers.

A quick brainstorming list (not in any logical order) might yield
something (very infantile) like:

1. Determine specs & audience
2. Establish timelines
3. Conduct interviews
4. Draw outline
5. Choose software/determine format (based on 1.) (e.g. Framemaker,
HTML, SGML, Word)
6. Gather resources (materials - dictionaries, verbal sources, Web
research)
7. Estimate cost
8. Present first draft
9. Edit/rewrite

Bruce Conway, B.A. (Math/Pol Sci) - Tech Writer/Communicator

Member:
Society for Technical Communication (STC)
Vancouver Island Adv. Technology Centre
(VIATeC)

RESUME: http://www.island.net/~bconway/resume.html
Email : bconway -at- island -dot- net