Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: bj <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:01:51 -0800

Hans Lonissen wrote:

> "Steven J. Owens" wrote:
> >
> > I've seen is a few brief mentions of it. They seem very obsessed with
> > secrecy.
>
> I think that's understandable. If you're selling a concept/idea rather
> than software is also easier to copy it and not pay for it. It's a bit
> like TV stations having to pay for program formats.

I had to laugh about this. Apparently, as in many such buzz word-ish kinds of
things, you've found people who are making a fortune selling their own "brand"
of Information Mapping. It does involve a lot of white space and structure,
but the placement of white space and the structure varies, depending on the
information being presented. It's based on studies of how the human eye
focuses and how long the human adult maintains interest/attention and things
like that. It's really very cut and dried in that sense, but that's where the
creativity comes in.
You mention program formats for television. I worked in TV for two
years. One of the things I did was create new program formats. Gee, do you
think that's why I find IM fun and creative \;+))).

Just don't be threatened by IM. It's just a tool. The most important thing
for you, as a writer is to determine whether there is already a form of that
tool in place, or if you get to design your own.

BJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=