Re: Writing Projects

Subject: Re: Writing Projects
From: Beth Agnew <BAgnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:11:33 -0500

When asked how I approach writing projects, I say that I use the same
methodology that produces good software:
1. Ensure there is a need for the product
2. Determine the audience or target market
3. Do a needs analysis, if necessary
4. Review or develop the requirements
5. Review or develop the specifications
6. Create a development plan, including timelines, deliverables,
dependencies, resources required and costs
7. Prepare drafts according to the approved development plan (research,
writing, interviewing)
8. Iterate the documentation through the necessary draft/approval stages
(editing, rewriting)
9. Test the documentation through its iterations, and fix documentation bugs
10. Release approved final to print production. (Add production cycle if
that is part of my responsibilities.)

This lets me draw powerful parallels between documentation and software
development, is readily understood by those with whom I will be doing
business (software developers), and proves to them that I understand their
business.

--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100  Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1        Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com    Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/bute/52/techwr-l/a.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000