Re: ADMIN: PC vs. Mac

Subject: Re: ADMIN: PC vs. Mac
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:15:49 +0100

On 20-12-1998 12:39 TECHWR-L Administrator wrote:

>Gang,
>Don't get into the OS wars on this list. Take it offline now.

It's NOT war, it is information. I disagree with your conviction this
particular discussion whould be off-topic, Eric, since the core of the
tech-writers job is to explain or clear up the use of things and to note
good examples in this field is the core of this list.
A.o. this discussion shows the more self-evident a machine will be, the
less documentation has to be needed: the new iMac is accompanied by just
64 pages (emergency) documentation. It's daily use is so self evidently,
no more text is needed.

I think this is another example of a minimal documentation approach: just
describe the exceptions, the very occasionals (errors, hazards, etc) and
make the machine, procedure, etc as self-evident as possible.
Only then your manuals will be used effectively.

Ever saw a user manual to use a chair...?

Regards
Kees de Bondt

* Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas: AlQuin Total Quality

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=