Re: Action -> Result (includes a little bit of humor)?

Subject: Re: Action -> Result (includes a little bit of humor)?
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:54:39 -0500

Brenda...

It shows how we tend to position things based on out current environment and
work load.

Currently, I am working on a manual that takes the person through a series of
steps to perform a function. In this particular piece of work, each function is
broken into 3 to 12 steps. The function is introduced by a short paragraph
describing the function, then the steps are given. The intro paragraph functions
as the end result:

1) This process will instruct you to detonate a bomb. If you do not want to
detonate the bomb, go to Step 3:
a) Open case to access the blue wire
b) Hold wire cutter, Model 3-1-a7.005, in your right hand.
c) Cut the blue wire to blow your right arm off.
d) You should be experiencing severe pain on the right side of your body.
If you are, go to Step 2. If not, contact the 24 hour help desk.

2) This process will stop you from bleeding to death:
a) Dial 555-1212 with yor left hand

Seriously...In the document I'm working on, we want them to blindly go from step
to step without exception or deviation. In another situation, I'd be writing
differently.

John

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=