No one reads the manuals

Subject: No one reads the manuals
From: Suzanne Gerrior <SGerrior -at- RAYMARKX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:34:50 -0500

Title: No one reads the manuals

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I need some information - fast!

I was just in a meeting with my boss who made this very innocent comment to me and my co-worker:

"It must be very frustrating to be in a profession where no one reads what you produce."

I have searched the archives and not found the type of info that I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me if they know "for a fact" that user's read the documentation (skimming is included as reading). By this I mean have you done a usability test, have you talked to customers. Does anyone have facts that I can use to back up my belief that user's do read the manuals.

Thanks

Suzanne Gerrior
Raymark Business Systems Inc.