Re: Imagine you teach

Subject: Re: Imagine you teach
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:03:32 -0800

At 02:55 PM 12/21/98 +0100, David Thompson wrote:
>Imagine you teach tech. writing.
>
>You have to teach 1 of the following:
>
>1. The principles of On Line Help or
>2. The principles of programming.
>
>Which would you choose and why?

You really can't assume that all tech writing students will
fall into the software industry, and both of the options
you've given assume that they will. I'd think it would be
far more useful to teach how to alter a message to suit the
target audience and distribution medium.

For example, given information X in more-or-less raw format,
create a white paper targeting managers, a manual targeting
users, and a web page targeting the general public.

Just a thought.

But given /only/ the two options above, I'd choose #1.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=