Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: Brenda Ruetschi <Bruetschi -at- ALPHA88 -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:43:38 -0500

Regarding the whole online vs. book topics -

I wonder if it isn't all connected.

In my case I like holding and marking something tangible when I'm editing.
At the end of the task, I have this document with lots cross-outs, notes,
arrows, and diagrams. When I edit a document offline, I make a noticeable
difference to the document - visible from across the room.

I get headaches when I stare into a screen for too long and begin to notice
screen flicker. Books are definitely easier on my already dimming sight.

Also, I learned to study while sitting on my bed in my dorm room with my
back against the wall, my knees in the air with my feet stuck out in front
of me, and the book propped on my lap. Sometimes I would flop on my stomach
or lay on my side. I was comfortable enough to pay attention to the
material, I did not have to sit at my computer desk, trying to keep my
monitor in sight when I get restless and wanted to change position.

Isn't it possible that it isn't just display, tactile stimulation, or
conditioning to a learning enviroment? Maybe it's all of this and more?

Brenda Ruetschi
Technical Communications
Alpha Technologies, Inc.
bruetschi -at- alpha88 -dot- com